Why Pay More?
Save Time | Save Money
Compare prices for all popular evergreen trees & shrubs sold from top rated online nurseries. Prices are updated daily.
Buy Proven Winners Direct
Now you can buy direct from America's #1 Plant Brand.
Prices start as low as $8.95. Free shipping available.
Nursery Reviews & Grades
Top Rated Online Nursery Ratings
Industry insider reveals details you need to know before you buy online.
Thank you for stopping by!
You have so many choices buying trees & shrubs online; and delivered to your door! But are you buying quality or more dirt than roots? What are the different varieties of evergreen shrubs? What is a grow zone? What size should I buy and why? How do I know if the online nursery is shipping me quality at a reasonable price?
You have questions and we have a lot of the answers (or we'll ask the right expert to get you answers). We also have a very unique ratings and review system of online nurseries. Compare different nurseries online in one place and a listing of evergreen shrubs available with price & links to their store.
Three Types of Evergreen Shrubs
The number of evergreen shrub varieties is pretty wide and diverse. When looking for evergreen shrubs, it helps to be familiar with three primary types.
Needle-leaf evergreen shrubs. Yes, coniferous evergreen shrubs do exist. Yew shrubs (Genus: Taxus) are a very popular needle-leaf evergreen. Yew shrubs are coniferous but don't produce cones. Juniper is another popular needle-leaf evergreen.There are a lot of Juniper varieties that have many uses from privacy to groundcovers. Mugo Pine and False Cypress are 2 other popular conifer evergreen shrubs.
Broadleaf evergreen shrubs. The 5 most popular broadleaf evergreen shrub varieties are Holly shrubs (ilex), Boxwood shrubs (Scientific name - Buxus), Euonymus (about 130 species), Firethorn (Scientific name: Pyracantha coccinea), and Photinia (Over 40 varieties).
Flowering Evergreen shrubs. There are numerous flowering evergreen shrubs as well. A common misconception is that most are best suited for warmer climates. Azalea's are a great example. Predominantly considered for grow zones 7 though 10, there are now azalea varieties that are tolerant to grow zone 4. Other popular flowering evergreen shrubs are Gardenia, Rhododendron and Camellia.
Most Popular Landscape Uses For Evergreen Shrubs
Here are the five most popular evergreen shrubs by 'type'. In other words, what are the most popular uses for them?
- Foundation plants. As the moniker implies, these are shrubs that are planted close to your home, along your foundation. Sometimes referred to as 'home hugging' shrubs. They should enhance your curb appeal. Tradional evergreen foundation shrubs include Hollies, Boxwoods and Junipers. More an more flowering evergreen shrubs are being use so homeowners can add a little color and pizazz to their landscape.
- Privacy evergreen shrubs. Some of the best selling evergreen shrubs are being used to create a 'living' privacy fence.
- Evergreen shrubs for hedges. Usually in the range of 2 to 5 feet tall, these are evergreen shrubs that can provide a nice hedge. Many times used along property lines.
- Groundcovers. There are quite a few evergreen shrubs that stay low to the ground & are used as groundcovers. Sometimes they're used on slopes to help with preventing soil erosion.
- Ornamental for the color. A group of 3 or 5 flowering evergreens in your garden would look amazing. There are evergreens that bloom different times of the year. Some even do well in shade, something that is always a struggle for home landscapes.
Identifying Evergreen Shrubs. Make sure to check out our gallery where we try to help you identify evergreen shrubs. We'll also post pictures of plants we have delivered from various online nurseries.